W.G. Henshaw / Volcan Land & Water Co., 1916.
Huge blue line map, approximately 64 x 72 1/2 inches, folding to approximately 10 1/2 x 8 inches. Small separations at several folds, overall very good condition. In the book "Building the Ultimate Dam: John S. Eastwood and the Control of Water in the West" the author Donald C. Jackson provides background on this early 20th century period of the development of the Warner Ranch property, development intricately tied to with the history of water rights in Southern California and the displacement of the Native American Indians of the area: "In 1911, (Ed) Fletcher became associated with William G. Henshaw, a San Francisco-based businessman who owned the Riverside Cement Company and who had recently purchased the Warner Ranch at the headwaters of the San Luis Rey River. Development of the Lake Henshaw project (as it later came to be known) had begun in 1905, when Fletcher served as an agent for Henry Huntington's South Coast Land Company. When Huntington abandoned his own plans for this scheme, Fletcher arranged for Henshaw to buy Warner Ranch; in turn, Fletcher assumed management of the newly formed Volcan Land and Water Company to develop water rights along the San Luis Rey River that were tied to the ranch. The Lake Henshaw project proved more complicated than originally envisaged and remained incomplete for more than a decade. In 1914, however, Fletcher and Henshaw approached Eastwood for a dam design. This initiative foundered, but it was soon followed by plans for another multiple arch dam along the nearby San Dieguito River." In 1900 a U.S. Supreme Court ruling had authorised "the eviction of the Cupa people from their ancestral homeland at Warner Springs, leading to a forced removal two years later. May 27, 1902 Congress appropriates $100,000 to purchase land in Southern California for Mission Indians and to relocate them to the new land holdings. 1903 The Cupenos are forcibly transported to the Pala reservation by Indian agents in a three-day "Trail of Tears" and settled among the distinctly different Luiseño people with whom they eventually become integrated." (San Diego University website: Chronology of the Indigenous Peoples of San Diego County). This huge map "Surveyed and Mapped July 1916 by the Volcan Land & Water Co." provides a detailed view of the topography and rivers of the Warner Ranch land. No record of this map is found in WorldCat, but a smaller map related through its connection with the Volcan Land & Water Co. is a "Map of San Luis Rey Valley in vicinity of Foss Lake and San Luis Rey Mission : showing ground water contours" (OCLC Number: 28449808). An uncommon map from a significant moment in the struggle for and development of water rights in Southern California and the removal of the Native Americans who had long inhabited the region. Item #49472