Bartholomew, J. (engraved and colors by).
Edinburgh. A. & C. Black. No date. Ca. 1884-1889.
Color lithographic map, 16 1/4 x 21 1/2 inches on sheet size 17 3/4 x 23 3/4 inches, centerfold as issued. Some light soiling and a few foxing spots in outer margins, overall very good. The area of the Dakotas is divided into two, the northern section labeled Pembina, the southern section Dakota. On this topic Wikipedia notes: "The precursor to Pembina County was a county of the same name in the Minnesota Territory, extending from the Upper Mississippi River to the western boundary of the territory. When Minnesota became a state in 1858, its western boundary was set at the Red River, and the land to its west was unorganized. A new Pembina County was established as part of the Dakota Territory in 1867. At the time it was a large territory, and in 1871 it was expanded to include much of the territory in what is now eastern North Dakota from Canada to the South Dakota border.
The Dakota Territory legislature created Pembina County on January 9, 1867, from previously unorganized territory. Its government was organized on August 12 of that same year. It was named for a Chippewa term for stab or stabbing. Pembina, the oldest European-American settlement in the future state, was the county seat. In 1911 the seat was relocated to Cavalier.
The county boundaries were altered in 1871, 1873, 1881, and 1887. It has retained its present boundaries since 1887. Between 1873 and 1881, eleven new counties were created from Pembina, including Cass County and Grand Forks County. Pembina took its current form in 1887, when Cavalier County was increased in size."
A narrow section marked "Public Lands" runs between Indian Territory and New Mexico adjoining the Colorado / Kansas border. Item #48758
Price: $103.00 save 30% $72.10