Manitou, CO. E. E. Nichols and Son. No date. Ca. 1903.
32 pp booklet (unpaginated), 6.75 x 5.25 inches, in paper wraps. Illustrated with photographic views, diagrams showing the layout of the hotel's three floors, map showing points of interest in the vicinity of the hotel, and chart presenting a mineral analysis of the various springs. Paper loss at top of spine and lower right corner of front cover. Interior in good condition. In a section of the booklet devoted to the amenities of the Cliff House, it is written: "For twenty-seven years under the management of Messrs. E. E. Nichols & Son, [it] is the leading hotel of Manitou." On the same page, printed next to a line drawing of a stately staircase, are the dates 1876-1903, the latter presumably the date of publication. (The present-day Cliff House, on its web site, states the hotel opened in 1876 and that Nichols acquired it ten years later.) The 1903 date of publication is supported by photographic views of the town, which are devoid of any form of automotive transport, while horse-drawn vehicles figure in several of the photos; other photographic illustrations depict views of the town, the hotel's guest chambers and public rooms, and nearby scenic attractions. On the first page of the booklet the town, with its curative springs, is referred to as "The Carlsbad of the West." An interesting and uncommon booklet, well-illustrated, in good overall condition. Item #48025