London. J. & C. Walker. No date. Ca. 1845.
Engraved map, handcolored, dissected into 15 panels and mounted on linen sheet 16 1/2 x 13 3/4 inches, folding as issued into gilt lettered embossed cloth covered boards, 5 x 3 1/2 inches. Very good condition, with light wear to boards. J & C Walker was comprised of John Walker, Alexander Walker, and Charles Walker; their firm operated for approximately 75 years between 1820 and 1895 and was known for the maps produced for the SDUK (Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge). J & C Walker were located at 9 Castle Street Holborn from 1841 to 1847. The population figures given on the
foldout accompanying this map (7,767,401) reflect a decline of over a million and a half persons between 1841 (8,175,124) and 1851 (6,552,385), a consequence of the Great Famine and emigration to England and America. Overall, a handsome and detailed production from the mid-19th century. Item #46805