Tokyo. Owariya Seishichi (?), Ansei 4: 1857.
Color woodblock print, 17 3/4 x 19 1/2 inches on sheet 19 3/8 x 20 1/2 inches. Extensive wormholing with two areas of paper loss approximately 1 x 1/2 inch, and four areas of approximately 1 x 1/8 inch, plus some other scattered worming. The publisher Owariya produced 31 folded maps of districts in Edo between 1850-65 called owariya ban kiri-e zu. This is the area of and around the very important Zojoji Temple, the main temple of the Pure Land sect of Buddhism. According to the official website: "Zojoji was relocated to the present site in 1598 after Ieyasu Tokugawa, founder of the Tokugawa shogunate, entered Edo (present-day Tokyo) in 1590 to establish his provincial governmnet. After the start of the Edo Period when the Tokugawa shogunate ruled Japan, Zojoji became the family temple of the Tokugawa family and an unparalleled grand cathedral was built. Zojoji also served as an administrative center to govern the religious studies and activities of Jodo shu. In those days, its precincts covered an area of 826,000 square meters which also contained 48 smaller attached temples and about 150 grammar schools. Moreover, as many as 3,000 priests and novices always resided here as students. Nevertheless, as the Tokugawa shogunate came to an end and the Meiji Era started, an anti-Buddhist movement got under way. The cathedral, temples and the mausoleum of the Tokugawa family were burned down by air raids during World War II. Thus, Zojoji was profoundly affected by political and social circumsrances. Today, however, its cathedral and other structures have been rebuilt, and Zojoji continues to serve as the main temple of Jodo shu and the central nembutsu seminary for priests and novices." The legend shows: crest = okamiyashiki; black square: ; black dot: ; red = temple; blue = rivers; yellow = roads and bridges; green = forested areas; grey = homes of townspeople. Item #38310