Antoncich, Frank (mapmaker).
Virginia, MN. W.A. Fisher Company. 1940.
Color pictographic / pictorial map, 16 1/4 x 21 inches on sheet size 17 x 22 inches, folding as issued to 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches. Some light wear and soft creases, a few pinholes in each corner indicating it once was displayed on a wall, short separation at two fold ends; good, clean condition. Pictographs represent historical events, fishing, etc. in a comic fashion by Frank Antoncich (1906-1994). This map is featured in the article "The 1930s 'Cartomaps' of Frank Antoncich" in the Washington Map Society's Portolan Journal, Winter 2018. The map was folded, as issued. Text on the map identifies the source of the Mississippi "25 miles west of Leech Lake." The history of white settlement in the region is given in the caption of an illustration showing a horse and wagon and an axillary wagon holding luggage: "The first tourists to Leech Lake came about 1905" Caption to another illustration states "Brunet, a French trader in Leech Lake area in 1833 recorded an Indian population of about 781." Another illustration is captioned "The first school was established on Leech Lake by Missionary W T. Butwell in 1832." As is the case with virtually every Antoncich map, text beneath the title states "Historical information taken from the file of the Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul." Item #35530